Student Life

Student Life offers a variety of student services and programs, including Disability Services, New Student Programs, Health Center, Counseling Center, Service Learning, International Student Services, Multicultural Center, Recreational and Varsity Sports, Residential Life, Student Publications, the Student Union and Activities Advisory Board, and the Child Care Center. Student Life also provides support for student organizations and assists students in the interpretation of University rules and regulations including those regarding student discipline and conduct.

Child Care Center

A licensed Child Care Center under the supervision of the Office of Student Life and the Richardson YWCA is located in the Student Union. Evening care is available for children from ages four to eleven of university students. For additional information call (972) 883-2946.

Comet Card

The Comet Card is the official University identification card for all students, faculty, and staff. The Comet Card allows a student to use campus facilities and services and offers a declining balance feature where money may be stored to make on-campus purchases and payments. A student can also link the card to a Wells Fargo checking account and enjoy free ATM and other PIN-Based debit transactions on-and-off campus. Cards are issued through the Info Depot located in the Student Union. Call (972) 883-2495 for information.

Student Counseling Services

The Student Counseling Center is staffed by psychologists and counselors who are available to help students with personal and interpersonal problems. Services include individual counseling for personal or educational concerns, marital/family counseling, group counseling, crisis counseling and stress reduction, and special workshops/programs relevant to student needs. In addition, a personal development book and tape library is available and materials may be checked out.

All counseling services and records are held confidential to the extent permitted by law and are governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the Texas Open Records Act, and Article 5561(h), Vernon’s Annotated Texas Civil Statutes.

The Student Counseling Center is located in the Student Union, (972) 883-2575.

Disability Services

Disability Services provides for the special needs of students with disabilities. A student is urged to make his/her needs known to Disability Services as soon as admitted to the University. The Office of Disability Services is located in the Student Union, (972) 883-2070.

Student Government Association

Through the Student Government a student can express views to the student body, the faculty, and the administration. The president and vice president are elected each spring for one-year terms. In addition, two graduate students are elected from each school. Further information may be obtained from the Student Government Offices in the Student Union, (972) 883-2284, or by contacting the Director of Student Development, (972) 883-6158.

Student Health Services

The Student Health Center offers routine medical treatment to all currently enrolled students who have paid their tuition and are attending classes.. Services include diagnosis and treatment of acute illnesses and injuries, general medical problems, gynecological problems, health education and counseling, and limited immunizations. Care providers include Nurse Practitioners and a Consulting Physician. While there is no cost for most services, there are charges for laboratory services, medication and specific procedures provided at the Health Center. All services or treatment obtained from facilities other than the campus health center are the responsibility of the individual student. The staff at the Health Center can make referrals as indicated.

Information about bacterial meningitis is available upon request at the Student Health Center. Information also is distributed in Orientation packets, in the A to Z Guide to Student Life, in the graduate and undergraduate applications for admission to the University, and is published in the University newspaper, The UTD Mercury, at the beginning of each semester.

All medical services and records are held confidential to the extent permitted by law and are governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the Texas Open Records Act, and Article 5561(h), Vernon’s Annotated Texas Civil Statutes.

The Health Education office is also part of the Student Health Center. Health Education programming is presented to students throughout the year and information on many health topics, including HIV, STD’s, nutrition, alcohol/drug abuse, etc. is available in the office. Office phone 972-883-4275.

The Student Health Center is located in the Student Union, SU1.606, (972)883-2747.

Student Health Insurance

A group health insurance plan is available to all enrolled students and is administered by the International Student Services Office.

An international student on F or J non-immigrant status and dependents of a J1 visa holder are required to maintain approved comprehensive health insurance while enrolled at UT System component institutions. At registration, an F orJ status student will be assessed a health insurance fee for the purchase of the U.T. System Student Health Insurance Plan where there is no evidence of continuing coverage under:

       the U.T. System Employee Health Plan or a comparable mandatory employee plan

       continuing mandatory coverage through a government sponsored health plan

       continuing coverage that satisfies the requirements of USIA regulations with regard to a J1 or J2 visa holder.

International Student Services

The International Student Services Office is available for those students in the United States under a non-immigrant visa status. The office provides several services not limited to:

The International Student Services office may be contacted by calling (972) 883-4189.

Student Involvement

The University of Texas at Dallas encourages student involvement and provides numerous opportunities for a student to further co-curricular and extracurricular interests. A student may have a voice and contribute to student life through participation in the Student Government Association, the Student Union and Activities Advisory Board, student publications, various university committees, and over 100 student organizations. Call the Center for Student Involvement at (972) 883-6651 for more information.

Multicultural Center

The Multicultural Center offers support to UTD minority students while educating the campus community about cultural diversity. The goals for the program include improving the recruitment and retention of minority students, increasing awareness of the campus community on minority issues, and offering paraprofessionals and minority student leaders opportunities to develop and refine leadership abilities. Call (972) 883-6390 for more information.

Nondiscrimination Policy

The University is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or veteran status in its provision of services, activities, and programs, and in its treatment of students. Students seeking further information about this policy, or related complaint procedures for alleged discrimination or sexual harassment should contact the Dean of Students at (972) 883-6391.

Student Organizations

Registered student organizations provide the major means by which students can contribute to student life while developing friendships, interests, talents, and leadership skills. These groups include academic and honor groups, service clubs, religious groups, ethnic groups, and special interest groups. Detailed information on the groups and guidelines for forming new organizations is available in the Center for Student Involvement in the Student Union or by calling (972) 883-6551

Student Media

The UTD Mercury is the official student newspaper of the University. It is published bi-weekly during the regular academic year. Funded with student service fees and advertising sales, the Mercury is available without charge to all students. Other publications are the A to Z Guide to Student Life, which is mailed to new students each semester, and This Week at UTD, a weekly publication distributed on campus. Radio UTD is a student -operated internet-based radio station that web casts nightly throughout the regular academic sessions.

Recreational Sports

Recreational Sports facilities include a 100,000 sq. ft. Activity Center (housing squash and racquetball courts, a multipurpose gym with 3 full basketball courts, a smaller single court auxiliary gym, a 10,000 sq. ft. fitness area, a multipurpose room, a 25 yd. six lane indoor pool, recreation and athletic training lockers, showers, a training room, and athletic administrative offices. Other facilities include eight lighted tennis courts, a jogging trail, lighted softball, baseball, and soccer fields, and an outdoor basketball court. A variety of intramural and club sports is offered year-round as well as physical activity courses for credit. For additional information call (972) 883-2090 or 883-2096.

Varsity Sports

U. T. Dallas is a member of the NCAA Division III (no athletic scholarships). U. T. Dallas fields men’s and women’s teams in soccer, golf, basketball, tennis, cross country, baseball (men), softball (women), and volleyball (women). Graduate students are able to participate only if their undergraduate degree is from U.T. Dallas and they still have NCAA eligibility remaining. Administrative offices are located in the Activity Center. For additional information call (972) 883-4490.