Skip to Main Navigation
The University of Texas at Dallas
Graduate Admissions

Master of Science Program in Communication Disorders


Professors: Thomas Campbell, Sandra Chapman, Christine Dollaghan, William F. Katz, Robert D. Stillman, Linda Thibodeau, Emily Tobey, Hanna Ulatowska, Anne van Kleeck
Associate Professor: Pamela Rollins
Assistant Professor: Mandy Maguire
Clinical Faculty: Michelle Aldridge, Suzanne Bonifert, Lucinda Dean, Diane Garst, Karen Kaplan, Helen Kenedi, Janice Lougeay, Felicity Sale


The Master of Science program in Communication Disorders offers broad-based professional preparation in speech-language pathology within an environment which supports an active program of clinical services and research. Students are provided comprehensive exposure to clinical approaches in communication disorders and to the scientific foundations from which clinical approaches are derived. Practical experience is available in a variety of clinical, educational, and medical settings.

The graduate program in Communication Disorders is accredited in speech-language pathology by the Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.


The principal sites for the academic, clinical, and research activities of the Communication Disorders program are the UT Dallas Callier Center for Communication Disorders, adjacent to The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, and Callier-Richardson on the Uuniversity’s main campus. These facilities, and others throughout the Metroplex, provide the educational, clinical, research, and medical environments essential for an interdisciplinary program in Communication Disorders.

Admission Requirements

The University’s general admission requirements are discussed here.

Admission to the Communication Disorders Program is based on a review of the applicant’s transcripts, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose.

Degree Requirements

The University’s general degree requirements are discussed here.

The Master of Science program requires a minimum of 48 semester hours. Students completing the master’s degree meet the academic and clinical practicum requirements for the Certificate of Clinical Competence offered by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

Students entering the master’s program with a bachelor’s degree in speech-language pathology are required to take the following courses: COMD 6221 Voice Disorders, COMD 6222 Stuttering, COMD 6320 Motor Speech Disorders, COMD 6377 Assessment and Treatment of Adult Neurogenic Disorders, COMD 7303 Dysphagia, and COMD 7378 Assessment and Treatment of Language Disorders in Preschool and School-Age Children. Students must also complete approved elective courses and practicum/internship totaling 48 credit hours. In addition to the required courses listed above, students must complete a minimum of three courses in the areas of language disorders in children and language disorders in adults., Two courses must be completed in one area and one course in the other. Students enroll in Practicum (HCS 7380) or Internship (COMD 6630) each semester in order to earn the necessary clock hours for certification and licensure. In general, a maximum of 9 semester hours of Practicum/Internship may be counted toward the minimum 48 semester hours required for the degree. Exceptions to the above requirements must be approved by the program head.

Combined Master/Doctoral Study

Students who wish to earn a clinical master’s degree while pursuing doctoral study may apply for combined master’s/doctoral study. Students approved to enroll in both master’s and doctoral courses pursue an individualized plan of study leading to both degrees.

Comprehensive Examination

All students seeking the master’s degree in Communication Disorders must pass a written comprehensive examination. A thesis is optional.

Out-Of-Field Students

Students entering the program who lack undergraduate preparation in speech-language pathology or audiology are required to take a specified 15 semester hours of preparatory courses. These courses may be taken at UT Dallas in conjunction with graduate coursework or may be taken at another university.


Last Updated: October 6, 2010