Skip to Main Navigation
The University of Texas at Dallas
Graduate Admissions

Student Financial Aid

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Teaching Assistantships are available on a limited basis in most graduate programs. Also, many faculty members have research projects which provide Research Assistantships. These Teaching and Research Assistantships normally involve half-time employment and are awarded on the basis of merit. Students holding these assistantships must be enrolled for a minimum of nine semester hours for each regular semester in which the assistantship is awarded. The Dean of each school designates the minimum semester hours for a summer session. A student on a Teaching/Research Assistantship who is enrolled in the minimum number of hours and wishes to drop a course must obtain the signature of the Dean of Graduate Studies. Students on probation will not be supported on an assistantship. Applications should be made to the appropriate Graduate Program office at least 60 days prior to the date of registration.

Prior to their appointment as Teaching Assistants, international students must meet the English requirements described in the “English Requirements for Teaching Assistants” section. All TA’s are required to attend TA Orientation held immediately prior to fall and spring semesters.

Student Financial Aid Office

The Student Financial Aid Office is available to assist students in obtaining funds to attend the University. Aid is available in the form of loans, grants, and part-time employment or any combination of those programs. Limited numbers of scholarships are available. The total amount of aid the student receives depends on the level of financial need, submission of appropriate financial information and applications, academic records, and the availability of funds.

Students are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office to obtain appropriate application materials and to determine eligibility for the various forms of aid available. They may also apply for financial aid and check the status of their application. Students are also strongly encouraged to view the Financial Aid Office web site for up-to-date information.

Eligibility for Financial Aid

Most of the aid listed in this catalog is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students are encouraged to determine the amount of resources that they can provide toward their education and to compare it with the average cost of attending the University. Student budgets are reviewed annually in accordance with federally accepted guidelines. Federal guidelines outline what can be included in student budgets. The costs of tuition, fees, books, supplies, room and board, in-city transportation, and a limited amount for other personal expenses are the basic components of student budgets. Unusual expenses, such as childcare costs or the student’s medical disability, may be considered when they have been properly documented.

Financial need is defined as the difference between the cost of attending the University and the amount a student and family can reasonably provide. The amount of the expected family contribution is based on federal guidelines reflecting total family income, assets, and number of dependent children currently attending post-secondary educational institutions.

In determining whether a student is considered independent or self-supporting, the Financial Aid Office adheres to the standards set by the Department of Education to establish an applicant’s dependency status. Students the age of 24 years or older are considered financially independent. Students under the age of 24 are considered financially dependent unless they are orphans, wards of the court, veterans, graduate students, married, or unmarried but with legal dependents. Both self-supporting and dependent students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form in order that a determination can be made of the expected resources available to the applicants.  

Selective Service

Male students between the ages of 18 and 26 must be registered with Selective Service to qualify for Federal student loans or grant programs. This includes College Work Study, Federal Stafford Loans, Graduate PLUS Loans, and Federal Perkins Loans. The Selective Service requirement also applies to Texas student loans or grant programs. Students may register with Selective Service by visiting their local postal office or online. Graduate students wanting to verify their Selective Service registration may do so online by visiting the Selective Service site.

Students subject to selective service registration will be required to file a statement that the student has registered or is exempt from selective service registration in order to be eligible to apply for federal financial aid. In addition, effective January 1, 1998, the selective service requirement is also applicable to students applying for financial assistance funded by State revenue.  

Required Course Load

To be considered for federal financial aid a graduate student has to be enrolled for a minimum of five semester credit hours of graduate coursework during each long term and a minimum of three semester credit hours of graduate study during any summer session.

Basis for the Type of Financial Aid

The aid package awarded to a student may consist of a loan, grant, scholarship, part-time job, or any combination of these programs. The total amount of aid the student receives depends on the level of financial need, submission of appropriate financial information and applications, academic records, and the availability of funds.  

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Federal Financial Aid

The University of Texas at Dallas has a “Satisfactory Academic Progress” policy for a student receiving federal student financial assistance.

Generally, the student is expected to remain in good standing by the satisfactory completion of a minimum number of credit hours, based on a percentage of the credit hours attempted and completed. This completion rate may vary depending on the student’s academic level and credit hour load. In addition, graduate students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above. For online information on the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy, visit For more detailed information the student should contact the Financial Aid Office. A copy of the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy is made available to all recipients of financial aid and is available online on our web site.

Renewal of Financial Aid

For a student to be considered for a renewal of financial aid, a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and supporting documents must be submitted for each academic year. The awarding of renewal aid is subject to the same considerations used in awarding all previous financial assistance.

Revocation of Aid

Financial aid packages are reviewed by the Financial Aid Office and canceled if the student fails to maintain a satisfactory record of academic progress or to enroll for and maintain the minimum number of course load hours. Aid packages may also be revoked because of changes in financial status. Partial or full repayment of awards may be required. In some instances, immediate repayment may be required.

Any change in a recipient’s financial situation, such as receipt or anticipation of additional scholarships, loans, or outside funding toward your educational expenses not represented on your award letter must be reported to the Financial Aid Office because compliance with federal regulations may require a reduction or revision of current awards.


Types of Financial Aid

Following is a summary of the types of assistance that are available to graduate students at The University of Texas at Dallas. The student should be aware that many of the programs are subject to change without notice by the state or federal government. Information on all programs may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office unless otherwise noted.

Texas Public Education Grant

An act of the 64th Texas Legislature established a grant program to provide financial assistance to students. This program is funded through appropriation of a portion of the tuition charge for resident and nonresident students. Texas Public Education Grants may be awarded through the Financial Aid Office depending upon need and availability.

Educational Assistance Grant

Funds through this program are made available through a set-aside of Designated Tuition. Graduate students demonstrating financial need, as determined through a completed FAFSA, will be considered for aid. Amount of award will vary each year based on availability of funds.

International Education Fund Scholarship

Through the proceeds from the International Education fee, scholarships are available for study-abroad programs. These scholarships are open to both graduate and undergraduate students enrolled at least one-half time (six hours or more). Graduate students should be admitted to a degree program and have a GPA of 3.0. While abroad, the recipient of this scholarship must be enrolled in a full-time course of study. Course work undertaken must apply to the student’s degree program.  

Hazlewood Veteran Tuition Exemption

Certain veterans who have served on active military duty, who were residents of Texas at the time of entry into the service, who have resided in Texas for the last 12 months prior to the date of registration, and whose entitlement to educational benefits under federal legislation has been exhausted, are eligible for exemption from the payment of tuition, general fee and laboratory fees. However, an individual who has “exhausted his/her federal education benefit” as a result of a default on a federal or state loan may NOT receive the Hazlewood benefit. These exemptions also apply to children of those members of the Armed Forces killed in action, missing in action, who became totally disabled for purposes of employability as a result of a service related injury or who died while in service, or whose death is documented to be directly caused by illness or injury connected with service in the armed forces, and to children of those members of the Texas National Guard killed since January 1, 1946 while on active duty. This exemption can be used if a student’s federal veterans benefits are less than the hazlewood exemption value, the student may receive a hazelwood exemption that equals the difference between total tuition and fees and the federal veteran benefits for a state funded program.  As of the Fall 1995 semester, the maximum number of credit hours (including remedial courses) which a person may receive benefit under the Act is 150 credit hours.. Applications are available in the Financial Aid office or online at  

Federal Perkins Loan Program

This loan program provides a combination of federal and institutional funds to students who qualify on the basis of financial need. Priority is given to those students who demonstrate exceptional need.

A graduate student may borrow up to a maximum amount of $30,000 which includes all undergraduate Federal Perkins loans.

A Federal Perkins loan bears a modest interest rate. Borrowers are required to begin repayment of principal and interest six months after they cease to be at least half-time students. Repayment may extend over a ten-year period; however, there is a minimum rate of repayment.

Hinson-Hazlewood College Student Loan Program

Texas residents who meet eligibility requirements may borrow funds to meet a portion of their school expenses. The loan carries a modest interest rate. Repayment begins six months after graduation or withdrawal from the university.

Federal Stafford Student Loan Program

Funds from this program are made available to the student through the Federal Direct Loan Program. There are two types of Stafford Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. A student must demonstrate financial need, according to the FAFSA, to qualify for the subsidized loan. In this case the government will pay the interest on the loan while the student is in school. Financial need is not a requirement for the unsubsidized loan. This loan accrues interest while the student is in school; a student may choose to pay the accruing interest while in school.

The loans are made at a modest interest rate and there exists a maximum amount which can be borrowed for a given academic year. The borrower will be required to begin repayment of principal and interest upon graduation or after he or she ceases to be at least a half-time student. Repayment may extend over ten years, but the program requires a minimum monthly payment. See for additional information.  

Short-Term Emergency Loans

Students needing emergency help with educational expenses may borrow from the short-term loan fund. Loans must be repaid within 60 days from the date of issuance or one week prior to the end of the term for which the student applied for the short term loan, whichever comes first. A late fee of $30.00 per month will be charged, up to a maximum of $90.00 per loan. Contributions to these funds have been made by Mrs. Lloyd V. Berkner, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Castelli, the Kiwanis Club of Richardson, Rotary Club of Richardson, Richardson Savings and Loan Association, the First Texas Savings and Loan Association of Dallas, Richardson Altrusa Club, Chaparral Steel Company, and funds set aside out of student tuition.

Federal College Work Study Program

College work study employment is available to students on the basis of demonstrated financial need. The acceptance of employment reduces the amount of loan assistance a student will be permitted to accept in order to meet financial need to cover educational expenses.

Compensation depends on the type of job, qualifications, and classification. The number of hours and work schedule will vary depending on the position. For information on job availability, visit or contact the Career Center at (972) 883-2943.  

Other On-Campus Employment

Various programs and schools of the university employ students in positions that are not work-study positions and are not based on need. In accordance with appropriate guidelines, pay scales depend on the type of job, qualifications, and classification. Normally, students will be employed for a maximum of 19.5 hours per week. Students interested in these positions should contact the Career Center at (972) 883-2943.

Information concerning student financial aid is accurate at the time of printing. Changes in regulations or policy on a federal, state, university, private lending, or donor level could affect the type and amount of programs available and/or program requirements. The Financial Aid Office has detailed information available upon request.

Scholarship Programs

Information about a variety of scholarships awarded on the basis of academic merit and achievement is available from the Office of Financial Aid. The University of Texas at Dallas also offers a number of endowed scholarships that are administered by a school, department, or program. Students are encouraged to contact their school dean or program office to obtain information about eligibility criteria and scholarships awarded in the student’s area of study

In accord with Chapter 51, of the Texas Education Code, all applications for competitive academic scholarships for graduate study are reviewed by the Committee on Student Scholarships and/or the Graduate Scholarship Committee in the appropriate academic unit.

Please visit UT Dallas Scholarships for more information.

Graduate Scholarships Selection Criteria:

Good academic standing

Show academic promise

Full or part-time

Pursuing a program of study leading to a degree

May show financial need but not required


Last Updated: September 24, 2010